Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Psalm 58

1 Do ye indeed speak righteousness, O congregation? do ye judge uprightly, O ye sons of men?
2 Yea, in heart ye work wickedness; ye weigh the violence of your hands in the earth.
3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
4 Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;
5 Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely.
6 Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O LORD.
7 Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces.
8 As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun.
9 Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
10 The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.
11 So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judgeth in the earth.

Key Verse:
3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Key Observation:
The wicked shall not endure.

Memory Verse:
11 So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judgeth in the earth.
Or NIV:
Then men will say, Surely the righteous still are rewarded;
surely there is a God who judges the earth.


Devotion:
In the Old Testament way of thinking, God rewarded righteous men and vengeance was sought from the Lord concerning unrighteous or wicked people. The amazing thing to me is how often David recognized that his righteousness is not enough, that somehow he had to trust God to overlook his transgressions. Thus David’s faith was what pleased God, though he did not always see it that way. David looked by faith to his descendant and to his eternal God, Jesus Christ.

I sometimes feel a bit torn between trying to be two people here. As a Christian I am supposed to be awaiting the appearing of my Lord Jesus Christ. Yet as a Christian, the Bible also teaches me that Christ has not come, partly because He continues to extend mercy to the wicked, in hopes that some yet will turn from their wicked way. I want that too! So what do I want, for the Lord to come or to stay? Sigh. I resolve the dilemma by saying the Lord’s will be done, and by praying and looking for opportunities to declare my Savior before men.

David is looking forward by faith here again to the time of trouble upon his people. The Lord will come and there will be judgment for every deed, whether done in public or private. I can appreciate that viewpoint as I, too, am anxious for the Lord to come, and know that He will judge wickedness at that time. Part of my problem, I suspect, is that I have it too easy. I live in a rich country, and have worked a lifetime accruing wealth. All around me I tend to see people who do the same, many of whom I judge as “not so bad”. I do not see wickedness and rebellion and sin as my God sees them. At my best times I know that the carnalness of my awful estate would be in total shambles apart from the grace of God, but I seldom see others as wicked. I think when I am changed, and when I know the Lord even as also I am known, that then I will see the righteous judgment of God for what it is. Even so, come Lord Jesus.

We've got to mind the way we walk,
we've got to mind the way we talk,
we've got to mind the way we give,
we've got to mind the way we live.
We've got to be an example of Christ in every way;
we've got to get right church and let's go home.

Chorus 2
(Get right church and let's go home),
oh, get right church and let's go home.
Get right church, get right church,
we've got to get right church and let's go home.







Get Right Church

Chorus
We've got to mind the way we walk,
we've got to mind the way we talk,
we've got to mind the way we give,
we've got to mind the way we live.
We've got to be an example of Christ in every way;
we've got to get right church and let's go home.

Chorus 2
(Get right church and let's go home),
oh, get right church and let's go home.
Get right church, get right church,
we've got to get right church and let's go home.

Chorus 1

Vamp 1
Get right,
get right children.

Vamp 2

Sopranos Get right
Altos Get right
Tenors Get right.

Vamp 3

Sopranos Get right
Altos Get right
Tenors Get right.
Altos Get right

Vamp 1

Ending
We've got to get right church and let's go home.


Christian Music Lyrics by: Gospel Music



No comments: