Saturday, August 20, 2011

Psalm 62

1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.
2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.
5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.
11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.
12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Key Verse:
2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

Key Observation:

David writes this in memory of the times when he depended on God only.

Memory Verse:
8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Devotion:

Notice the word only in the psalm. You may look and ask which only are you talking about? Precisely. This psalm has been nicknamed the only psalm. But I notice one more characteristic about this psalm. Look at the list below:
my soul
my salvation
my rock
my defense
my strength
my refuge

I think the psalm might be appropriately named “the my only” psalm. David is looking very personally to his God here. He knows the love of his God; he knows it personally—he is able to pray with confidence knowing his God hears prayer. It sort of continues the theme I talked about in the last psalm: praying to God with Great Expectations.

David is a wonder to me; he had no knowledge of any of the New Testament promises, yet he is able to personally know and count on his God in times of trial. McGee thinks this psalm is written in memory of David’s fleeing Jerusalem from his son Absalom. Truly this is a time of trials for David, yet he fiercely is able to connect to his God by faith and trust Him for deliverance. McGee says: “And as we read this psalm which comes from his heart in this hour of darkness, this time of testing, this hour of defeat, we are amazed to find not one note of discouragement, nor suggestion of fear, nor word of distress.” Truly the faith of David is a wonder!

Maybe it is only when I personalize God—my God, my rock, my salvation—that I can see him as I ought. A God who cares for me beyond my knowledge of caring. In the Bible the picture of the good father is used as a metaphor for knowing God the Father. But doesn’t his love exceed the love of the earthly father, even if you have a good earthly model for a father? Doesn’t his love exceed anything I am capable of putting to a definition—for a definition has of necessity limits, yet God’s love, being infinite, has no limits. How shall I count so great a love?

I learn from this psalm that in my times of trial, I can come to God with complete confidence, resting securely upon Him for His deliverance. High expectations? Yes, but we have “high promises” given to us that David did not. I think God rather expects us to have Great Expectations; do not disappoint your Father. Read those promises again, and start believing. It might Rock your prayer life!


Rock of Ages
Rock of ages cleft for me,
let me hide myself in Thee;
let the water and the blood
from Thy wounded side which flowed.
Let the water and the blood
from Thy wounded side which flowed.

Chorus
Rock of ages let me hide myself
in Thee, in Thee,
in Thee, in Thee.






Rock of Ages


Rock of Ages
(arranged by Tim Harris)
(recorded by T.M. Mass Youth Choir)


Verse
Rock of ages cleft for me,
let me hide myself in Thee;
let the water and the blood
from Thy wounded side which flowed.
Let the water and the blood
from Thy wounded side which flowed.

Chorus
Rock of ages let me hide myself
in Thee, in Thee,
in Thee, in Thee.

Vamp 1

Sopranos
The Lord God is my rock,
He is the hope of my salvation.

Altos
My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.

Tenors
On Christ the solid rock, I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

Vamp 2
The Lord God is my rock,
He is the hope of my salvation.
My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
On Christ the solid rock, I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

Vamp 3
Rock of ages

Chorus


Christian Music Lyrics by: Gospel Music



No comments: