Monday, August 01, 2011

Psalm 43

1 Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.
2 For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
3 O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.
4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Key Verse:
1 Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.

Key Observation:
A psalm of deliverance.

Memory Verse:
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Devotion:

Psalm 42 began the Exodus psalms and this continues with that theme. If looked at as a prophetic psalm, it can be seen from verse 1 that it may allude to the end times when Israel itself needs deliverance. The previous psalm also had this theme.

Matthew Henry feels that the author added these words to Psalm 42 at a later time. Someday Israel is going to be surrounded by her enemies on all sides. Actually that is already happening, for Israel has no allies in the Middle East. Most countries have already sworn to see it destroyed, and one day soon the balance will tip. Someone who Israel will learn to hate will temporarily bring peace, but shortly before the Lord returns the masses of Israel’s enemies will gather for the final Armageddon. The Lord himself will rescue Israel at that time, and will begin a reign on earth that will bring to fruition all the many promises God has made to Israel.

No comments: