Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Psalm 51

1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

Key Verse:
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Key Observation:
Forgiveness of God (through Christ) is freely granted but sometimes there are consequences.

Memory Verse:
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.


Devotion:
McGee’s outline:
Cry of Conscience and Conviction of Sin v. 1-3
Cry of Confession of Sin and Clemency v. 4-8
Cry for Cleansing and Communion v. 9-19

The corresponding details for this psalm are found in 2 Samuel 12 and later. David was caught most foully in sin. McGee points out when Nathan confronts him with his sin, David could have denied his sin, and even could have had Nathan killed. Instead he chose to confess. Inwardly this psalm tells us of the agony of David living with his sin: “my sin is ever before me”. He seizes the chance to at last “come clean” before God. I find the notion of “coming clean” to be somewhat absurd when it comes to God, because He knows already that which I have done to the smallest most sordid detail. In reality when I confess to God, I am agreeing with Him that what I did was sin.

The grace of God is such that when Jesus died on the cross, He died for the sins of the world. He took all of my sins on that cross, and if I could focus on the tremendous grace of that sacrifice, I should be motivated to live for Jesus. Too often I find myself wandering off into sin, and ignoring the grace of God. When I at last come to my senses one of my great psalms is this one; I take comfort in knowing that big “screw-ups” are forgiven, and that through confession, restoration is possible for even me.

Yes, God freely forgave: “a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” But remember the consequences of David’s sin. His own house—his sons, in this case—were to rebel against him, to chase him from his kingdom. His son, Absalom, was to lie with the concubine of David, his father, in the sight of all Israel. It would be fair to say that David had consequences for his sin that followed him all of his life. I need to remember that though my God is a merciful God, still my ill-considered actions (sins) may still have enduring consequences. The things that I do may well affect my children and perhaps even my children’s children.

“I was sinking deep in sin far from the peaceful shore.
Very deeply stained within
Sinking to rise no more
But the Master of the Sea heard my despairing cry
From the waters lifted me Now safe am I
Love Lifted Me!”

No comments: