Sunday, August 14, 2011

Psalm 56

1 Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.
2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.
6 They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.
7 Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.
8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9 When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.
10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.
11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
12 Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

Key Verse:
3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

Key Observation:
Fear can deepen or deaden one’s faith; it is a choice.

Memory Verse:
11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

Devotion:

Many times God commands his servants to “be not afraid”. But this is a time when David confesses his very real fears, and then places his trust in God. When we countenance the mountains that we are to remove by faith, at times their towering and menacing presence can make us awestruck and afraid, until we put our trust in Him. I am reminded of Elisha’s prayer for his servant: “Open his eyes that he may see.” The servant’s eyes were opened and he saw the great multitude of the Lord’s forces, and he was not afraid. When I elect to trust God in the presence of my mountain, that is when God will teach me not to be afraid, for my confidence will no longer be limited by my feebleness. Instead I will be enabled by my knowledge of how much bigger my God is than that mountain. Oh God, open my eyes that I may see!

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You
I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up
Shinin' in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love
As we sing holy, holy, holy

No comments: