Saturday, October 29, 2011

Psalm 132

1 Lord, remember David, and all his afflictions:
2 How he sware unto the LORD, and vowed unto the mighty God of Jacob;
3 Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
4 I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
5 Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
6 Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah: we found it in the fields of the wood.
7 We will go into his tabernacles: we will worship at his footstool.
8 Arise, O LORD, into thy rest; thou, and the ark of thy strength.
9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.
10 For thy servant David's sake turn not away the face of thine anointed.
11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
12 If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.
13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.
15 I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.
16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy.
17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.
18 His enemies will I clothe with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish.

Key Verse:
14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

Key Observation:
Jerusalem is to be His rest for ever and therein He will dwell.

Memory Verse:
13 For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.

Devotion:

This is a millennial psalm. Notice that it says “I will make the horn of David to bud.” This is a clear reference to the Anointed One. Many scholars feel that this psalm was penned by Solomon, as part of honoring his father. David planned the temple and gathered many of the materials for its building. It would be fitting for Solomon to comment on the immense planning that his father put into the temple.

“His enemies will I clothe with shame.” Jesus spoke of the end of those who oppose the plan of God frequently. I know it is not fashionable to speak of hell and judgment to those who refuse the grace of God, but Jesus did. “You diligently study the Scriptures because you think by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.” (John 5) And again: “The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil.” (John 7) And again: “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.” And again: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.” (John 3)

There are many Christians who mistakenly try to “soften” the gospel, but it works against them every time. John 10 makes it known that there is only one way of salvation: “I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.” And again: “The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.”

Do not make the mistake of thinking that God is negligent concerning the judgment of evil, for the day of judgment will come, and in that day even the stones will cry out against those who would oppose God. A reading of what happens to the wicked is available in Psalm 2, and one day that judgment, long foretold will happen.

So the followers of Jesus, interested in one who works miracles, came to Jesus and said, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” “Jesus answered, ‘The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.’” (John 6) There is no other way of salvation; you cannot possibly, even on your best days, produce works that will grant you salvation. We are all under condemnation, sold out to sin, and utterly unable to do anything to redeem ourselves. Except one thing: “Believe in the one he has sent.”

Nothing But the Blood

1. What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

2. For my pardon, this I see,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
For my cleansing this my plea,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

3. Nothing can for sin atone,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
Naught of good that I have done,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

4. This is all my hope and peace,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
This is all my righteousness,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Chorus:
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Lyrics: Robert Wadsworth Lowry

No comments: