Thursday, October 13, 2011

Psalm 116

1 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.
4 Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.
5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.
6 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.
7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
9 I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:
11 I said in my haste, All men are liars.
12 What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
14 I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
16 O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.
18 I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.
19 In the courts of the LORD's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.

Key Verse:
8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

Key Observation:
McGee: “This is one of the great psalms in Scripture. Some expositors place it next to Psalm 23 in greatness.”

Memory Verse:
15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Devotion:

One of the great problems for Christians is that, like others, they die. Their end comes, perhaps in a more benevolent way than some of the wicked, but it comes. Sometimes they are martyred for their beliefs, and they die hideous deaths of torture and brutality. But just like all others, their lives seem to have an end. They die of old age. They die of cancer. They die in accidents. Just like all other people, they die.

And therein lies our faith—we trust that not is all as it seems. We look to Christ as the author and finisher of our faith. We look to Christ as the first fruits from the dead. Because of His resurrection, we know, by faith, that death no longer has the victory. By faith, by trusting and believing God, we look to overcome the last enemy, death.

This psalm speaks of deliverance for the saint; perhaps in a symbolic way it speaks of our Lord being lifted up and rescued by God the Father. It ought to speak especially to me because of the great promises therein. I know that, no matter how much trouble I get in, God can deliver me. When I pray for the sick around me, I have full faith that God is able to rescue and heal people—believe me when I say I have seen some incredible healings and rescues over my nearly 60 years. But everyone who is rescued or healed still is someday going to die.

But wait! There is some good news. Jesus promised his disciples to return one day in the same manner that they watched Him ascend. How I would have liked to watch Him ascend to heaven that day. The disciples knew that He had overcome death, and watching Him go “to prepare a place for us” must have been life-changing. I cannot help but wonder if that witness was not a good part of the reason that many of them were willing to give testimony unto death.

The good news is that He is coming back, evidently very close to the exact place that He ascended. (Zechariah 14) I think, and many in the faith today think, that time is not far off. A small shudder of ecstasy goes down my spine as I think that He may even return before I post this devotion. It is possible, and likely to happen sometime soon. And we are commanded to watch and wait. Guess what I am delighting in doing? Are you ready if it were today?

What if It Were Today?

1. Jesus is coming to earth again,
What if it were today?
Coming in power and love to reign,
What if it were today?
Coming to claim His chosen Bride,
All the redeemed and purified,
Over this whole earth scattered wide.
What if it were today?

(Chorus) Glory! Glory! Joy to my heart ’twill ring:
Glory! Glory! When we shall crown Him King;
Glory! Glory! Haste to prepare the way;
Glory! Glory! Jesus will come some day.

2. Satan’s dominion will then be o’er,
O that it were today!
Sorrow and sighing shall be no more,
O that it were today!
Then shall the dead in Christ arise,
Caught up to meet Him in the skies,
When shall those glories meet our eyes?
What if it were today?

3. Faithful and true He would find us here
If He should come today?
Watching in gladness and not in fear,
If He should come today?
Signs of His coming multiply,
Morning light breaks in eastern sky,
Watch, for the time is drawing nigh,
What if it were today?

No comments: