Saturday, October 15, 2011

Psalm 118

KJV
1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.
2 Let Israel now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
3 Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
4 Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
5 I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.
6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
7 The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.
8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
10 All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.
11They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
12 They compassed me about like bees: they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
13 Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me.
14 The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.
15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.
18 The LORD hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.
19 Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:
20 This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter.
21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
23 This is the LORD's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.
27 God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
28 Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
29 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Key Verse:
22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Key Observation:
McGee: “Psalm 118 is the psalm they sang together on that fatal night. The Gospels tell us, “When they had sung an hymn, they went out. . .” (Matt. 26:30).”

Memory Verse:
24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Devotion:

Is it not full of irony that the very psalm sung on Passover Night was the psalm with this line: “This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”? Our Christ was facing the cross, and still able to sing this verse. What an inspiration that should be to me as I think. As the hardness of the day before me increases, the more clear and real should be the Lord’s purpose in my life. The more difficult the task, the more certain the doom, the greater I should be convinced of His purpose in my life.

And thinking of this makes me wonder about the wonderful saints who have bravely and resolutely faced martyrdom for their beliefs. I think that God was their succor in their deepest need; He was all sufficient in their deepest need. That convicts me that my easy time by comparison with theirs ought to include a lot more in resoluteness of purpose. How I ought to be determined to proclaim Him until that day! “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?”

This was the very night that the first Passover was celebrated with the Lamb of God. McGee points out that though they ate lamb customarily at the Passover, lamb is not mentioned in the Last Supper. Bread and wine are the elements that are mentioned and the Lord himself did not partake of the cup, saying that He would not take the cup with them, but that He would drink it new with us in His Father’s kingdom. McGee suggests the reason lamb was not mentioned was because the Lamb of God was with them, ready for His sacrifice.

May I point out that as well as being symbolic for the coming cross, this psalm is warning the very world about what will likely be taking place in the near future. Three times the Lord says the nations (peoples) have compassed me about. I think the me being talked about here is the nation of Israel. Three times He solemnly swears: “But in the name of the Lord, I will destroy them.” When we see something repeated three times in scripture, it is a way of the Lord emphasizing solemnly its utter sureness of happening. Watch, for it will surely unfold as He has foretold.

“The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.” Our Lord quotes this verse and it appears in all three synoptic gospels: Matt. 21:42; Mk. 12:10; and Lk. 20:17. Refusing Christ has had devastating results for Israel, but I cannot but also reflect that most of the world has rejected Christ. And, I believe, devastating results will happen for those who reject Christ. “He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the only begotten of God.” The one work which God holds all in the world responsible for is believing the gospel. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” That is your starting point, if you are wondering where to start. Take the book of John, where Jesus is so plainly exhibited to us as the Son of God, read each chapter, and ask God to help you believe. You just may find your life forever changed. I did, and He has surely changed my life, both now and forever more.

Wonderful Words of Life

1. Sing them over again to me,
Wonderful words of Life;
Let me more of their beauty see,
Wonderful words of Life;
Words of life and beauty
Teach me faith and duty;

2. Christ, the blessed One, gives to all
Wonderful words of Life;
Sinner, list to the loving call,
Wonderful words of Life;
All so freely given,
Wooing us to heaven;

3. Sweetly echo the gospel call,
Wonderful words of Life;
Offer pardon and peace to all,
Wonderful words of Life;
Jesus, only Savior,
Sanctify forever;

Chorus:
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
Wonderful words of Life.
Beautiful words, wonderful words,
Wonderful words of Life.

Lyrics: Philip Paul Bliss

No comments: