Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Psalm 150

1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD

Key Verse:
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD

Key Observation:
A wonderful end to a glorious book!

Memory Verse:
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD

Devotion:

McGee: “Today you and I are living in a created universe that is actually singing praises to God. But man is out of tune. Man is in discord. God’s great purpose is to bring man back into the harmony of heaven.” (I might note that McGee has an excellent homily on worship and the Psalms at the end of Psalm 150) I leave the last of the psalms with regret—I have made many new friends and truly learned things in the unity of the book which I never knew before.

The great one thing that I have learned? God is our Creator, our Redeemer, and He has planned the end from the beginning. I did not realize just how many of the psalms seem to be preparation for the millennium itself. In looking backward to the Old Testament, I found myself looking forward towards that which is yet to come. God, the Great Planner, has planned His coming from since before the creation of the world. Time must play itself out, but I cannot help but think that Coming is almost upon us.

I have also learned more about David, the author of most of these psalms. David indeed, as the scripture declares, was a man after God’s heart. David knew his God, experienced His forgiveness, tasted His mercy, and upheld His righteousness. But David did it in the context of singing what I term “prayer-songs” to his Lord. Certainly much of the heart of God is revealed in the Psalms, long before the New Testament was even written.

Everyday is sweet before the Lord, and I pray that each day I may have the wisdom to walk in the Spirit, experiencing His forgiveness, tasting His mercy, and upholding His Name to a lost world, desperate in its need for the Savior.

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 52173-52174). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.


I Stand Amazed in the Presence
(My Savior's Love)

1. I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
A sinner, condemned, unclean.

2. For me it was in the garden
He prayed, "not My will, but Thine."
He had no tears for His own griefs,
But sweat-drops of blood for mine.

3. In pity angels beheld Him,
And came from the world of light
To comfort Him in the sorrows
He bore for my soul that night.

4. He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone.

5. When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see,
'Twill be my joy through the ages
To sing of His love for me.

Chorus:
How marvelous! How wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
How marvelous! How wonderful
Is my Savior's love for me!

Lyrics: Charles Hutchinson Gabriel


No comments: