Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Psalm 143

1 Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.
2 And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
3 For the enemy hath persecuted my soul; he hath smitten my life down to the ground; he hath made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.
4 Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate.
5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.
6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
7 Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.
9 Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me.
10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
11 Quicken me, O LORD, for thy name's sake: for thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble.
12 And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant.

Key Verse:
10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.

Key Observation:
Here the psalmest recognizes no one is justified before God: “And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.”

Memory Verse:
2 And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.

Devotion:

McGee: “God is not through with Israel. In Micah 7:20 we read, ‘Thou wilt perform the truth to Jacob, and the mercy to Abraham, which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the days of old.’”

There was never a time when Israel could possibly have succeeded by following the Law; rather the Law “was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.” (Galatians 3) There was never a time when God did not foreknow; for there to be such a time would unmake God himself. God is by definition omniscient. He knew Israel’s end before he even began to deal with Abraham. He knew of Israel’s rejection of the Savior even before He gave Moses the Law. And his promises to Israel clearly go beyond their rejection.

Hebrews 8 quotes the passage from Jeremiah 31: “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, ‘know the Lord’, because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.”

There are some who say Israel is replaced by the church. No! Paul tells us that we have been grafted into the tree, and that we ought not to be proud, because if God spared not the natural branches, neither will He spare us. We have to receive the Son, the same as Israel was responsible to do. But then Paul says: “And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:” (Romans 11) All means all. All refers to Israel. God means to turn Israel unto Him one final time, and that time is almost upon us.

I have a friend who grew up in New York with many Jewish friends. Once when we were talking about this promise of God, my friend commented that he had a hard time believing that God would really turn his Jewish friends back. He commented that he knew his Jewish friends, and did not see how they could possibly be turned to Christ. My only reply to my friend was that I thought God to be a bit bigger than his friends, that the impossible was possible when we have the promise of God. God said He intends to do this wonderful thing! I choose to believe Him. Do you?

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 51949-51950). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.

There Is a Fountain

1. There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Immanuel's veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains;
Lose all their guilty stains;
Lose all their guilty stains;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains.

2. The dying thief rejoiced to see
That fountain in His day;
And there may I, though vile as he,
Wash all my sins away;
Wash all my sins away;
Wash all my sins away;
And there may I, though vile as he,
Wash all my sins away.

3. Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood
Shall never lose its pow'r
Till all the ransomed church of God
Be saved to sin no more;
Be saved to sin no more;
Be saved to sin no more;
Till all the ransomed church of God
Be saved to sin no more.

4. E'er since by faith I saw the stream
Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme,
And shall be till I die;
And shall be till I die;
And shall be till I die;
Redeeming love has been my theme
And shall be till I die.

Lyrics: William Cowper



No comments: