Monday, February 27, 2012

The Last Ten Days, part 2

I found my notes! I would like to add to a timeline each day and build a coherent structure that I think might stand the test of comparing Scriptures. Each day I would like also to add a bit about events and bolster the calendar events a bit.

Nisan 8, Friday
John 12:1, Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

Mary Anoints Jesus:


John 12:3
Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
(See also Mt. 26:6, Mk. 14:3)

Nisan 9, Saturday

Triumphal Entry:


Mt. 21:1-11
Luke 19:28-44

Jesus cleanses temple (second time):


Mt. 21:12-17

Jesus returns to Bethany for the night:


Mt. 21:17
And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there.

As I look at the schedule followed by Jesus here, six days before the Passover, came to Bethany, where He is anointed for His burial. He spends the night in Bethany, but heads for Jerusalem the next day. On his way to Jerusalem, He is spotted by the crowds, who begin to acclaim Him as the Christ, waving palm leaves, and watching Him enter the city. Jesus drives out the moneychangers from the temple, and then returns to Bethany for the night.

I am experimenting with different ways of presenting a table with all of this laid out, and will be working diligently on it. It is evident from study that these events were planned according to the foreknowledge of God, and that the Son gave Himself willingly on the cross. Jesus stressed that “no man takes it from me, I give it willingly.”

No comments: