Thursday, February 16, 2012

John 19 23 to 37

23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.
24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

This passage is too full of prophecies not to note them here:
1) Fulfillment:
23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. (John)
Prophecy:
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. (Ps. 22)

2) Fulfillment:
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. (John)
Prophecy:
21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. (Ps. 69)

3) Fulfillment:
33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs. (John)
Prophecy:
20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken. (Ps. 34)

4) Fulfillment:
37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced. (John)
Prophecy:
They shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. (Zech. 12:10)

The record of John is true, and the words of fulfillment that I read there are no less true because John reminds me that they are true. Chapter Nine of Josh McDowell’s Evidence that Demands a Verdict attempts to gather all of the prophetic utterances of the life of Christ and is well worth the study. Here in this short passage are four fulfillments of prophecy from the Old Testament. Again I am reminded that everything happened exactly in the way that God had foretold, and that Jesus fully intended to come to the cross.

John is the only gospel to include the two cries from the cross: Woman, behold thy son, and behold thy mother. John tells us that he took Mary into his house from that day on. I do so love this gospel because of the continued and more intimate look that I am given about Christ. John’s advantage of being next to Jesus most of the time gives me more insight into what my Lord is really like.

All for Jesus

1. All for Jesus, all for Jesus!
All my being's ransomed pow'rs:
All my thoughts and words and doings,
All my days and all my hours.

2. Let my hands perform His bidding,
Let my feet run in His ways;
Let my eyes see Jesus only,
Let my lips speak forth His praise.

3. Since my eyes were fixed on Jesus,
I've lost sight of all beside,
So enchained my spirit's vision,
Looking at the Crucified.

4. O what wonder! how amazing!
Jesus, glorious King of kings,
Deigns to call me His beloved,
Lets me rest beneath His wings.

Lyrics: Mary Dagworthy James

No comments: