Tuesday, January 24, 2012

John 14 1 to 4

1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Key Observation:
Jesus is preparing a place for us.

Devotion:
This discourse of Jesus is my favorite, and it begins right here. McGee feels that the break between chapter 13 and 14 here is unfortunate (it is not broken into chapters in the original), and thinks the first part of 14 is directed at Peter, to help him after he denies Jesus. “Simon Peter has just declared that he would lay down his life for Him. Then the Lord Jesus told him that he would deny Him three times by the time the rooster crowed in the morning. We will see later that, when the rooster crowed that morning, Simon Peter had denied Him three times. Still speaking to Simon Peter, our Lord gave this chapter to bring him through that dark night of denial and to bring him back into a right relationship with God. It was given to comfort him. This chapter has cushioned the shock for multitudes of people from that day right down to the present hour.”

As for me, I am so thankful to Peter for his broken record of faithfulness; often I see myself in him, though I would rather be the disciple that John was. Peter, indeed, messed up all the time. I mess up also, and thinking about it on the way home today, remembering my sins, and all the things I wished I had not done, and then about God’s grace. I said to myself that if there is any way that my salvation is in the least dependant on me, then I am surely lost. All to Him I owe. To think that my Lord’s love for Peter may have caused Him to begin this discourse is of great comfort. Imagine these words being directed to Peter: “Let not your heart be troubled.” If you believe in God, believe also in me.

I worked among the homeless at Union Rescue Mission of Los Angeles for nearly four years. Though I have not been back, living in Northern California as I do, I still smile as I remember the homeless men loudly singing “I Have a Mansion Over the Hilltop.” Those men, bereft of any home or possessions, knew the preciousness of this promise. I trust Peter realized the preciousness of this promise too.

Notice the promise is twofold:
1) I go to prepare a place for you,
and 2) I will come back and take you to be with me.
Paul also teaches of two things that happen to the church (that are closely related to the promise). The first thing is those who die, Paul teaches, are present with the Lord. (2 Cor. 5:8). I have watched funerals where the people attending have no hope, and there is a great emotional drain on these folk that goes beyond anything I have seen. My wondering is about that first thing that happens. Did part of what Jesus did in His ascension make that place for us? I think so, and Paul, does tell us further that when we saints lose someone, that we sorrow, but not as those who have no hope.

But Jesus is telling us that He will come back and take us to be with Him. That has not happened yet, but Paul teaches that one day soon Jesus will return, bringing those “who have fallen asleep in Him” and we who are alive will be caught up together with Him. So shall we be with Him forever! Oh victory! Oh death! Where is your sting?

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 102809-102813). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.


I’ve Got a Mansion Just Over the Hilltop

I'm satisfied with just a cottage below
A little silver and a little gold
But in that city where the ransomed will shine
I want a gold one that's silver lined

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold

Though often tempted, tormented, and tested
And like the prophet my pillow's a stone
And though I find here no permanent dwelling
I know He'll give me a mansion my own

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold

Don't think me poor or deserted or lonely
I'm not discouraged I'm heaven bound
I'm but a pilgrim in search of the city
I want a mansion, a harp and a crown

I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And some day yonder we will never more wander
But walk on streets that are purest gold

By Ira Stamphill

No comments: