Tuesday, January 10, 2012

John 10 31 to 42

31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,
40 And went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there he abode.
41 And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true.
42 And many believed on him there.

Key Observation:
The Jews again sought to kill Jesus because He claimed equality with God.

Devotion:
The Jews saw clearly that Jesus was claiming to be God. (v. 33) Jesus actually sets up a small argument, saying that we are all called gods. But then He leads back to the main point, saying that He is accused of blasphemy because He said: 1) the Father sanctified me, 2) the Father sent me into the world, and 3)I said I am the Son of God.

The leaders could not see the forest for the trees in front of their face. My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord. These were not His sheep, and therefore they did not hear Him. McGee adds this great insight into a sheepfold:
“When I was near Bethlehem, I spent some time looking over a sheepfold that was still in use. A sheepfold is an enclosure where shepherds put their sheep for the night. The porter has charge of it. Then the shepherd spends the night in his own bed. When he comes to the sheepfold in the morning, his sheep are all mixed up with somebody else’s sheep—there is no brand or marking on the sheep. How does he get the sheep that are his? He calls them by name. The sheep don’t have to be identified; they know their shepherd’s voice. When he starts out over the hill, his own sheep come out of the fold and follow him. They know him. Our Lord says, “The sheep will follow him because they know his voice.””
I know His voice. Is He calling you today? I know there are many fights among Christians today saying you are chosen, or elected of God. I answer those people that I do not understand how God does it, but this is plain. “He that comes to me I will in no way cast out.” How do I know you are the elect? Because there has never been one who has come to Jesus who is not also the very elect of God. I do not know how He does it. I just see Him doing it—saving people who are coming to Him. Every one. The word of our Lord is on it, and you can count it sure, that if you come, believing God and His Son, you will also be one of the elect. And when you come, you will find that your salvation does not depend on you, it depends on Him. That’s right where we should want it!

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 101852-101857). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.

Softly and Tenderly

1. Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He's waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.

2. Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me?

3. Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
Passing from you and from me;
Shadows are gathering, death's night is coming,
Coming for you and for me.

4. O for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.

Chorus:
Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!

Lyrics: Will Lamartine Thompson

No comments: