Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Psalm 3

1Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
2Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
3But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.
6I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.
Key Verse:
v.7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly

Key Outline:
1. v. 1 & 2- The complaint described
2. v. 3 & 4- The complaint answered even as David prays
3. v. 5 & 6- All sufficient answer in God
4. v. 7 & 8- The answer claimed and thanks given

Key Observation:
“When he fled from Absolam” reads the introduction. David spent decades running from Saul, and watching the Lord deliver him time after time. He is confident his prayer is heard this time based on his prior experience, and exults in that hearing. He is able to look through the eyes of faith to the end: “thou hast smitten all mine enemies”. Salvation here is best understand as a present rescue from distress, but it also definitely has an eternal application, especially for those of us reading it today.

Memory Verse:
3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

Devotion:
What faith I see in the man after God’s heart! He has much experience with being hunted, with a price on his head, standing as bounty for any who would obtain his carcass. He knows the deliverance of God, time after time. He has faith, a faith that looks forward with a surety of knowledge from experience that His God will save him. I see David crying a prayer of distress for God’s help, but with every confidence that God hears his prayer.

E.M. Bounds, a man of prayer has this to say, and I think it is highly applicable to the attitude of David here: “In the ultimate issue, prayer is simply faith, claiming its natural yet marvelous prerogatives—faith taking possession of its illimitable inheritance.” I believe David here had that kind of prayer faith.

I know of this faith-building, for as a young man in Bible school, I needed the provision of God time after time. As I saw Him continue to support me through college amid the most dismal of finances, I came to recognize those hard times as times that God would glorify his name and I began to look forward to them because I knew God would be a help. Now as an older man, I remember those days, and when I pray, I pray expecting an answer. God put me through difficult times to build my faith, just as he did David.

Isn’t David sure of the answer from his God? Shouldn’t we approach God “with freedom and confidence”, knowing that God will answer? I ought to have even more faith than David (though I confess readily I do not) because I know of the work of my Redeemer. He did everything for me. As He cried out, “It is finished.” I know of that completed redemption, something that David could only look forward to by faith. My God should be as he was to David, everything.

No comments: