Thursday, June 30, 2011

Psalm 11

1 In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?
2 For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart.
3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Key Verse:
4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.

Key Outline:
1. v. 1-3 The problem
2. v. 4-7 The answer

Key Observation:
Most of the psalms could properly be termed prayers, or since they were set to music, prayer-songs. Here is yet another talking about the end of the wicked: “he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone. and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup".

Memory Verse:
7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.


Devotion:
Martin Luther reminds us that “first comes the tree and then come the fruits.” David is a man of faith. Though the doctrine of faith was not fully developed, even in the Old Testament it is recognized, for Habakkuk says, “but the righteous shall live by his faith”. David, anointed of God to be the next king and yet nothing but a young shepherd boy said, “The LORD delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” (I Samuel 17:37) Martin Luther reminds us that “before David could achieve a single heroic deed he was already a man beloved of God, strong and constant in faith.” First comes the tree, then come the fruits.

Whenever I see “righteous” in the I need to remember that Abraham believed God and it was reckoned unto him as “righteousness". I am justified by my faith, nothing more. My calling is to live after the model of the life God gives us, but whenever Satan would accuse me of being in sin, he may be correct, but my reply will be that Jesus died for my sins. I need not stand being accused; forever the grace of God is given to me, and God declares me “innocent” because of that righteousness which Jesus imputed to me.

Last, I am reminded of fire and brimstone from Revelation when I read it here: “Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone.” In Revelation 9, it says: “18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.” Someday soon the patience of God will run out. He will declare it is time for judgment, and just in this one event foretold in Revelation, a third of mankind will be destroyed. I need to remember that the days are short, the time is almost at hand, and I need to proclaim His righteousness that comes by faith, persuading even those bound for judgment, that their souls might be saved from the wrath to come. A. W. Tozer reminds us that “the Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God”. May you and I be found together proclaiming redemption through faith when Jesus does return.

No comments: