Thursday, December 22, 2011

John 6 59 to 71

59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Key Observation:
Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. Before the beginning, before creation, Jesus has insight into souls that you or I seldom have.

Devotion:
What an advantage it would be to know the outcome of the person I am talking to about Christ. Honestly there have been a few times when I have known the people to whom I am speaking very well, and I know the Spirit is doing His work, and I am sure that person is going to come all the way to belief. But this is different. Christ knows from the beginning. He knows before He starts talking to a person, just exactly how and when that person will react. McGee gives a wonderful “approximate” quote from Spurgeon: “Spurgeon’s answer was something like this, “If the Lord had put a yellow stripe down the backs of the elect, I’d go up and down the street lifting up shirttails, finding out who had the yellow stripe, and then I’d give them the gospel. But God didn’t do it that way. He told me to preach the gospel to every creature that ‘whosoever will may come.’”

But if I reflect on it just a moment, I would not really want to know the outcome of every person’s life. How tragic to know most of the world is perishing. I currently estimate that no more than 2 out of 6 people on earth have anything to do with Christianity, and I know that God will winnow out the believers from among these. How sad it would be to look at people with the eyes of God and see their eternal destiny. Remember the rich young man, whom Christ looked at (Matthew 19, Mark 10, Luke 18). Mark alone gives to me a very interesting additional fact. It says: “Jesus looked at him and loved him.” It is interesting to me that some who teach irresistible grace seldom have anything to say about this verse; it seems that the love of God is quite resistible and here is a concrete example of it.

Of course John says in many places that God loved the world, and that whosoever may come, so what we see specifically from the example of the rich young man is but one example in the larger world. But I think of how hard it would be to be God, to love someone, to send your Son to redeem that person, and to watch that person turn away with a hard heart. And, beloved, it will not be any better for those who turn away. For how will it be to be in hell, to suffer eternally, and to know the whole time that God loves you, and there is nothing to be done about it, ever. I understand that I only look at things partially, not wholly through the lens of the righteousness of God, but it seems to me that the willful waywardness of man must distress our God terribly. Did He not send the Son that we might be redeemed? Did He not leave obvious evidence of Himself in creation, as it says in Romans 1:20? It is no accident that in the parable of the tenants (Matthew 21), the landowner is pictured as a merciful and kind owner, doing everything for his tenants, even to the sending of his own son. That landowner is a picture of God, and is meant to teach us of God’s mercy. Has He not done everything that wretched man might be saved? And having done everything, there is nothing left but for man to remain in the condemnation that we have had since Adam. How shall it be on that day, if the wretched should know God, know and experience his fate, and know there is nothing that the Loving and Just God can do! Take advantage of His grace today. Has He not said that anyone who comes to him I will in no wise cast out? You may ask, how can I come if I am not one of the elect? McGee answers this way: “Someone may ask, “You mean that if I’m not the elect I can still come?” My friend, if you come, you will be the elect. How tremendous this is!” The grace of God is without measure, and I grow more aware of it each day.

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 101035-101036). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 101031-101034). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.
Wonderful Grace of Jesus

1. Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Greater than all my sin;
How shall my tongue describe it,
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden,
Setting my spirit free,
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

2. Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching to all the lost,
By it I have been pardoned,
Saved to the uttermost;
Chains have been torn asunder,
Giving me liberty;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

3. Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching the most defiled,
By its transforming power,
Making him God's dear child,
Purchasing peace and heaven,
For all eternity;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Chorus:
Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
Higher than the mountain, sparkling like a fountain,
All sufficient grace for even me;
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
Greater far than all my sin and shame;
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus,
Praise His Name!

Lyrics: Haldor Lillenas

No comments: