Sunday, September 11, 2011

Psalm 84

1 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts!
2 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
3 Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.
4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.
6 Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.
7 They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God.
8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer: give ear, O God of Jacob. Selah.
9 Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed.
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Key Verse:
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Key Observation:
This psalm reflects on the wonderousness of being next to God; it is thus prophetic in the sense that it is forward looking to Christ's reign on earth.

Memory:
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Devotion:

Here is a fine thing! God speaks through the Scripture, the God of the Universe, and more, and natural man looks at those same Scriptures and they cannot see the God in them. They look around at their world, the same world I look at, and they do not see the Creator; rather they see accident and chaos and mutation as benign agents who happened to create this world. Where I see purpose they see only chance. Where I see design they see only void; where I see the Creator, they see only themselves, deluded and convinced that they themselves are gods, fully capable of creating a heaven on earth. One of the great things wrong with today’s world (and there is not space enough to remark on all the wrong things) is the fact that man thinks he can solve his own problems. Did you notice that the harder we try to solve our own problems, the deeper that Chaos seems to reign? Even our own government, after 200 years, still thinks that if only the common citizen will trust them, they will design a utopia of which God would be proud. What foolishness! What pride! Fall rather on your face before God, believing Him, for only in belief is there redemption.

“Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed.” The anointed is of course a reference to Jesus. It is to Jesus that man must turn. There is no Nietzsche superman who will be raised from among men; our Superman has come from God and it is to Him that we must turn while yet there is time. For the day of Grace is coming to an end, and we will soon see the Christ coming back to earth, and men coming from all over the world to worship Him. That is the message of this psalm. Rejoice!

10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Rejoice in the Lord always
And again I say, and again I say
Rejoice in the Lord always
And again I say, and again I say
Rejoice

Come bless the Lord, come bless the Lord
Draw near to worship Christ the Lord
And bless His name, His Holy name
Declaring He is good

O that men would praise Him
O that men would praise Him

O that men would praise Him
O that men would praise Him

O that men would praise His name
Would praise His name to the ends of the earth

No comments: