Saturday, May 06, 2006

Magician's Nephew

     In the Magician’s Nephew, C.S. Lewis likens the singing of a song to the creation of the world. In his book Lewis has Polly listening to the song and sometimes catching a glimmer of the connection to the creation going on around her eyes. Of course Lewis was not the first author to do that; Tolkien did it earlier- and perhaps Milton was the earliest of all, but there is still something special about the idea of a beautiful song meshing somehow with the creation of the world.
      Today I realized the song from time to time happens to believers. Perhaps the song is but dim, and perhaps we do not hear the right notes, but it is still our majestic song; it marches along as surely as the drumbeat of time plays its cadence to the unfolding of history. All does happen as our Creator has foreordained, and somehow even the discordant notes that do not seem to fit the song entirely mesh into the song planned from before the beginning of time.
      Tolkien deals with the discordant notes through his evil character Melkor; on a much simpler level Lewis deals with evil with the “accidental” presence of Jadis. Neither evil character realizes that the creator of their respective worlds has a larger plan capable of turning even their evil into something fine. Milton does the same thing with his chapter on Lucifer. To me as a believer I find these comforting notes from these great authors playing a beautiful melody for me. Isn’t it comforting to know that even the evil in our world somehow is fitting into God’s melody?
      In my later years I find the apprehension of evil growing somewhat. I read Mein Kampf and studied Hitler’s pitiful plans which grew so wildly successful only to be put aside by another man named Churchill, raised up for just such a time as this, who spent a whole decade apprehending and preparing for the evil of Hitler despite his own Britain thinking he was bonkers. During that dark decade of Churchill’s fall and Hitler’s rise, a Lady Astor took a party of appeasers to Stalin. Stalin asked about Churchill. The Lady Astor said now the power was now Chamberlain. “What about Churchill,” Stalin asked? “Oh, he’s finished!” proclaimed Lady Astor.
      Fortunately for the free world she could not have been more wrong. Were it not for the prescience of Churchill, we might find ourselves in a much darker world today. Somehow all the brutality and loss of life fit into the plan of God. Even the wicked man must have his day. He shall not prevail; neither shall the purpose of the Creator be frustrated in the least.
      If I am right in my reckoning, and the time is upon us (see previous post), the man of sin is now living among us, with his false christs and prophets. A time of evil is coming upon us such as the world has never seen, nor will ever see again. It is comforting for me to know that in view of my apprehension of evil that Polly is right all the time- the song is being sung as it should be and all will unfold in the planned manner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You just left a comment on my blog about my interest in Planned Parenthood, and I didn't want you to think that I deleted your comment and left it to go never thought of again. I am always interested in hearing all sides of every argument, as I'm hoping everyone is.

I'm taking what you say to heart, of course I have heard that many times before and I am aware of the points that holds.

I don't have much else to say to you personally, only because I'm not out to change your mind. I just wanted to let you know that I do see what you mean, even if I don't fully agree.

This is a very sensitive subject for me, due to some very awful experiences that I have had... if it is okay with you, I would like to not continue this communication with us any further. I hope that doesn't sound wrong. If you do still have something to say, I'll check your blog for the next few days and see if you responded to this, in which case I can give you my e-mail addres. But please don't post on my blog, as it could potentially hurt one of my loyal friends/readers.

Thanks for your words, and I really hope this doesn't come out mean. Like I said, I'll check your blog for the next few days if you'd like.

-erin

Patrick Davis said...

Erin,
I would never hurt anyone deliberately, so I will not post on your blog again, trusting your judgment. I have had personal family members who have chosen abortion ( in my case they regret it lifelong). I do realize it is a horrendous decision- I do wish to affirm that you could have a much better future than something bleak- and, if you do not mind, I am going to pray for you to get that.
Please do not think I am being sanctimonious here- not at all- I just believe in better things. I would very much appreciate hearing from you again to discuss this- but as you wish.
Pat
Pat